"The World is but a Canvas to the Imagination"
~Henry David Thoreau~



April's Tender Nest....
Where the Creative Spirit is nurtured and cared for.


April Martin-Ko
Creativity Consultant, Holistic Life Coach and Educator.

Tea Time at April's Tender Nest

Tea Time at April's Tender Nest
Tea Time at April's Tender Nest

Thursday, January 27, 2011

bathing beauties

this christmas the love of my life gave me a whole assortment of stuff for bathing. he noticed that i take a lot of baths and thought "what kind of gift will make a big impact on her daily life..." and so he bestowed on me lovely candles, mineral bath, and a beautiful bath caddy to go on our large claw foot tub.... and so i can relax and have my 'private' and 'relaxing time' as adaryn calls it... in my bath....

i think i have always liked sitting in the bath.... i think i learned this from my mom. i always remember that she (and my dad actually) would have a bath before bed, a way to end the day, to wind down and relax after their hectic tasking all day long..... and so i have carried on the tradition.  it is a simple pleasure and a place where i can truly be alone with myself. currently with an energetic 8 year old around, these moments can be few and far between. she has even made a little 'do not disturb' sign for me so when i'm in the bath she understands that i am having a little bit of 'alone time' when the door is closed and sign is hung.

when i think of baths i am also reminded of the city, bath in england which i was able to visit when i was in grade 11 on a school trip. i remember it being one of my favourite cities on the leg of our journey because of all the charming book shops and pubs. i also remember the grandeur of the roman baths built there. at my young age i thought how remarkable it was that there was still evidence of them from the roman period. i was struck by this many a time on this trip... cathedrals, stonehenge, tintern abbey, it planted the seed for my love of history.



i am also reminded of my grandmother speaking about the healing power of milk baths, and indeed in the city of bath these roman baths were know for their many healing properties; some would come from all over england and even drink the water to heal themselves..... for me the milk bath would conjure up images of cleopatra and how she is said to have taken 2 milk baths a day to preserve her beauty.... i'm sure she lounged about with attendants bringing her grapes and other delicacies.....instead i am often greeted by little knocks on the door 'can i come in yet' instead of bowls of fruit and luxurious rub downs by servants. however, i can take a little time each day to be surrounded by rose water, candles and  feel like a queen in my private bath....at least for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment