"The World is but a Canvas to the Imagination"
~Henry David Thoreau~



April's Tender Nest....
Where the Creative Spirit is nurtured and cared for.


April Martin-Ko
Creativity Consultant, Holistic Life Coach and Educator.

Tea Time at April's Tender Nest

Tea Time at April's Tender Nest
Tea Time at April's Tender Nest

Saturday, January 29, 2011

anne

miss adaryn still had a sore throat today so i said she could stay home from school. she was profoundly happy as the constraints of the school routine wear on adaryn at times due to her free spiritedness. so we had the opportunity to spend a day just the two of us. soup and tea and crafts and....
anne, anne of green gables.

when i was a little girl i fell in love with lucy maud montgomery's, anne of green gables, a classic canadian read; but even more than the books (which was unusual for me) was my love of the movie (or cbc mini series,  as it was then) i loved it so very very much i watched it every chance i got.  as we got older, my brother and i used to make it a tradition to watch it every xmas season.

upon discovering anne, for the first time in my life i really identified with a character, a person whom i felt was like me.  being a highly sensitive child i always felt a little strange and out of place, but when i met anne i felt there might be others like me, and fortunately as life goes on, you do realize you are not the only one who feels like the odd duck out from time to time.  anne's flair for the dramatic, sensitive and empathic nature,  belief in the power of imagination, longing to belong, eagerness to connect with 'kindred spirits', fiery temper, love of books and literature opened up my heart as a girl and teen....to myself.

my parents traveled across canada this past year and when they made the special trip to pei and the museum dedicated to anne, they made sure to take many pictures recording the homage for me; they have a special 'anne' token to give me when they return to bc in the spring.
 

during our courtship ed gave me a book called looking for anne: how lucy maud montgomery dreamed up the literary classic by irene gammel  http://www.keyporter.com/lookingforanne/ its a very interesting book about montogomery's life and intriguing inspirations that helped her write about anne.  to me this gesture was his romantic poem to me; he loved my 'anne self' and wanted to honor this part of me. every time ed catches me watching 'anne', which by now is only at least.... once a year, he will chuckle.."isn't it april, april of green gables".


here is a link to my parent's photos in pei:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=1491856210073&id=1044055167&aid=2068316.

No comments:

Post a Comment